Monday, July 5, 2010

Tunnels & Trolls clone found!

Randall at the Retrogaming blog posted a sweet find today. Looking closer I realize he actually posted it yesterday. Well, I read about it today. He have found a clone of T&T that somebody called Jonathan Clarke wrote, called Lances & Labyrinths. I took a quick peek at it, and I think it looks quite cool.

While I think it sounds preposterous that this is the game you design if you think T&T is too complex, it still contains a lot of interesting tweaks I could see myself use as house rules for T&T. "For every full STRx10 units they carry they are at -1 DEX", is one such nice little rule. Easy encumbrance, how's that for a shot at the while whale of gaming, workable Encumbrance rules? Also there are some fiddly bits like Serious Wounds that you might want to make combat more detailed.

Something I'll never understand is how riles up some people get by the names of the spells in T&T. Personally I think they sound more interesting than the rather dull names in D&D. In L&L they are in the D&D style. Workable.

All in all it's a nice take on the ideas of T&T, and anyone who fancy Tunnels & Trolls, or just a fun game, should download it from Randall's link.

Apparently Jonathan have been publishing games under the name FJ Gaming a while. I even looked at his game about the age of sail, Ship of the Line, before. I happen to have a soft spot for that era, and naval wargames. I had never suspected he had produced a rpg like L&L. Great find!
Copyright 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Andreas Davour. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.